Tuesday 27 October 2015

Choose Life

I have been struggling a lot for the past few weeks. I don't like to admit it, not even to myself because to me it seems like failure. I have experienced extreme tiredness, aches and pains all over my body, blurred vision and dizzy spells, loss of appetite some days and a few infections. I've been trying very hard to hold it all together and carry on as normal but with each day it just gets harder. The exhaustion is the worst thing, I struggle to concentrate at work, find I cannot get through the day without a nap and just constantly want to lie down.
I've been trying to consider the reasons why this is happening, ive been to the doctor for some tests also. Every day is a challenge at the moment and I am struggling to live my life. I don't feel like doing anything outside of work, it's hard enough to get through the day without collapsing is how I really feel. The thing that keeps coming back to me that I really haven't wanted to face is that maybe I just cannot cope with full time work anymore. I want so desperately to be able to work as normal and be able to do all the other things around work. I want so desperately to not give up and accept that this disease has given me limitations but the longer I try the worse it is becoming. I am becoming anxious, drinking way to much caffeine to combat the tiredness and nothing really works.
I have had to try and make some decisions to benefit my health and my future as its gettin out of control, I just don't feel able to do anything anymore. The only conclusion I can come to is that I need to step back on the working hours I do, so I intend to speak to my employers about the possibility of shorter working hours and working from home a bit more because the long days at the moment are killing me. I honestly didn't want it to come to this, and as I said, I feel like a complete failure for not being able to achieve something so ridiculous like a full day at work but I have to listen to my body now before it starts to ruin my whole life. I think that I could achieve a better work/life balance if I didn't work long hours and suffer for that around it. I don't want to have to go to bed everyday after work, spend every weekend exhausted not in the mood to do anything and be upset every day because I feel like I'm failing and too tired to fight. This is no quality of life.
I'm sharing this with you because I know that some of you may be feeling the same way, battling with yourselves over remaining independant and thinking you are a failure for not being able to work. It's been very important to me to remain independant, and continue working because I didn't want this life. I wanted to achieve so much in my career but I don't know how I am going to do that by pushing myself so far it's detrimental to my health.
Anxious about what my employers will say, I am struggling to sleep also. I really hope that I will get the support that I need and be able to continue with my job but of course I fear the worst. I fear they will think I am not cut out to do the job if I am not there full time. This isn't true, as I work bloody hard and I know I can do a great job whatever hours I do, but there's always that feeling they may not understand and see things in a very black and white way. Either I can do the job I set out to do or not. I have considered this of course, and hope it won't come to it but if it does then I will hopefully find something that is supportive and matches my ability. My career shouldn't have to be affected by my condition in an ideal world but I know many that have had to give up work altogether because their bodies just aren't allowing them the freedom to be employed. I am NOT giving up, I won't. But I just need to make some changes to ensure I can remain in work as long as possible and have the work/life balance I need. I will of course let you know how it goes with my employers and here's hoping I get the result I need to make things a bit easier. I am truly very lucky to have amazing people around me that support me no matter what and that has made all the difference in my battle.
So, I want to leave you with a message I got from my partner today that truly made me feel better about things and I hope it will resonate with some of you who are struggling with decisions about work and life in general...
'You're the bravest person I've ever met, it's one of the (many) reasons I love you so much. You're never beaten. Just go easy on yourself and stop worrying about letting everyone down. Everyone that matters only cares about your quality of life and your health, not your job, what you choose to do with your time or anything else'

No comments:

Post a Comment