Tuesday 16 August 2011

All Grown Up


I’m surprised at how fast the past year has gone by. I guess time flies when you’re having fun. It makes a change from previous years that have been fairly miserable and full of suffering. I said to myself last year, on my 24th birthday that this year was going to be a good one. All in all, I was right. I look back over the year and think of what I have achieved and how much things have changed. For starters I have my own business now, which is going from strength to strength. I have a new hip which was totally unexpected and working wonders at the moment. I moved in with the boyfriend, managed to get my arthritis under control and I have never been happier.
It’s taken a while to get there and the years since my diagnosis have been somewhat of a blur thanks to the long list of meds and pain I have suffered. But I am now looking forward to the future and what it has to offer. I know if I work hard this year, follow doctors’ orders and generally take care of myself that 25 will be a good year too.  Who knows, it might even be better?
So as I am still in recovery from my hip operation, there is no big night out or celebrations planned this year. I am simply spending quality time with my favourite people... my wonderful family and friends. I am not disappointed I can’t do much to celebrate this year, I am actually looking forward to a nice few days at home with plenty of visitors. I plan to have a gigantic take away session on my actual birthday, ordering all of my favourite foods accompanied by family. I hope for good weather as I am spending the weekend with friends and have organised a BBQ (which will be no fun in the rain!) I really cherish time with my loved ones at the moment. I suppose with the whole hip operation thing I have realised how supportive and caring those who are close to me really are. I couldn’t have got through the past few months without them. They have volunteered to help me with my business, cooked for me, cleaned for me and even dressed me! What amazing people I am surrounded by, I know I am very lucky. So having them around will be the best birthday present and all I want this year.
My duties as bridesmaid went very well last week. I watched my oldest friend marry an amazing man and I was very overwhelmed with love (funny how weddings make you all warm and fuzzy!) Anyway, I managed to walk the aisle without crutches and got away with wearing flesh coloured bed socks which weren’t noticed. The guests entertained themselves as the crutches came out in the evening. The ‘crutch dance’ went down a treat (and it wasn’t even me dancing with them). I was very happy to be part of such a special day for my friend and it made me realise how much we have all grown. Getting married and having babies were the things that ‘old’ people do when we were younger and now we are the ‘old’ ones. I even managed to catch the bouquet (which people swear I elbowed the girls out the way for) so will I be next?! I doubt it but then again who knows what the future will bring...
So I wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate the beautiful bride and her new husband and wish them a wonderfully happy life together.
Now, I am off to make my birthday cake (yes I know it’s sad when you have to make your own cake but as I am the newly appointed queen of cakes it must be done!)

No comments:

Post a Comment