Monday 4 April 2011

High Price for High Heels


So my life has been pretty hectic the past few weeks, everything seems to be changing (for the better that is). My business is finding its feet (slowly) and it’s great that I have focus and a reason to get up in the morning.
Meanwhile, everything around me seems to be changing too. Friends are getting married, having babies and buying houses. I am staying put for a while. I have reached the point after 2 years where I am comfortable and finding my own feet. I need to let the dust settle on what has been a long road to recovery. There’s still a long way to go, but I am getting there.
After a Saturday night of enjoying myself at my friends’ engagement party, I am suffering for it. There is a higher price to pay for good heels when you have RA. I wore some fabulous heels, for the first time in ages may I add. I managed a couple of hours walking like bambi. I could feel my knees swelling by the minute but it was worth it to look and feel good for a change. Of course the days of suffering have followed that always follow a good time for me. I seem to be punished for enjoying myself on regular occasions. Why is that? It’s rather annoying. Being in a coma for a day is not a great outcome after a few drinks and wearing high heels but when I think of the alternative, missing out on having a great night with friends, I know what I’d choose every time.
It’s amazing to see all my friends thriving in life. It’s a lot easier to be overwhelmingly happy for them now I feel a bit better! It’s always difficult to celebrate the achievement of others when it seems like your life is falling apart but it’s true what they say, good things come to those who wait.
I have been asked to do a talk in front of my hospital governors about my condition and the importance of rheumatology services tomorrow. I am honoured that they would think of me to represent us RA sufferers and will do us proud (I hope). Although, I have to say I am a little nervous. I do always get this little part of me that is saddened when I discuss my condition. It brings back memories of the long road I have travelled since my diagnosis. My worst fear is balling my eyes out in front of them and making a complete tit of myself! (But I do that on most days anyway). So I will let you know how my speech goes, hopefully those movie buffs at the Oscars will be watching too (I’ve always fancied winning one, maybe next year).
I hope you are well my friends and making sure you are enjoying yourselves, even if a bit of suffering follows. Believe me, it’s totally worth it when you can join in with your friends dancing to ‘come on Eileen’.

4 comments:

  1. Leanne McDermott4 April 2011 at 18:02

    I know exactly what you mean about high heels. it always upsets me that I cannot wear pretty shoes. Extra wide, size 3 pretty shoes are hard to come by! It's the bane of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, I have shoe envy all the time and it sucks when being a young woman you can't wear cute HIGH heeled shoes :( I'm stuck at a comfortable 2 inch level anything more than that and game over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand. I cant remember the last time i was able to wear my heels on a night out, and i love my shoes lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my high heels but they are a 'no-go' now :( I have been searching for pretty, flat, wide shoes for ages - they are not a category that exist and I refuse to wear granny shoes!! x

    ReplyDelete